TRANSFORM THE MUNDANE
in Partnership With my Friends at Whirlpool
In his book After the Ecstasy, the Laundry, Jack Kornfield explains that even the enlightened have the task of living day-to-day. In a similar vein, Whirlpool suggests that rather than begrudge mundane tasks, like the laundry, consider chores as little acts of care for yourself and your loved ones.
Between homework, after school activities, dinner, meetings, social engagements, on & on.... appreciating chores may seem a lofty goal but is it possible that it simply comes down to a shift in perspective? As the laundry must be done regardless, no harm in test driving the theory. Here are some ideas to help transform the laundry into acts of love to help care for your family:
- Revamp your space. Little, inexpensive details can make a big difference in any space. Decanting laundry detergent into mason jars and storing product in baskets creates a pretty environment and a place that you want to spend time in.
- Add life. If you are fortunate to have a window in your laundry room a plant or flowers are a simple luxury. Even if not, some of the faux options are incredible. Watch the segment below for my life-like find.
- Aromatherapy works. Choose products scented with essential oils or you may add a few drops to homemade or bought products. Lavender is my personal soothing fave.
- Think Efficiency. Whirlpool's large-capacity top loader washer and dryer pair help you easily care for your family by getting more laundry done in fewer loads. Easy-to-use Intuitive Touch Controls with Memory also help make laundry more efficient, by asking the right questions with simple 'what' and 'how' controls.
- Just a little bit. Tackling a huge list of chores at once is beyond daunting; chip away, for even 15 minutes, everyday for a manageable way to keep up.
For more ideas, here are two segments that I did on the topic: