Lazy, hazy days are upon us and there’s no better time to freshen up your beauty regime to reflect a lighter, more carefree attitude. The Style House called on the following experts to provide you with easy tips to update your summer style, head-to-toe. Hair: Clairol Consulting Colourist Christopher Martin suggests a D-I-Y approach for making a major change with minimal investment.
- Always colour gradually: If you want to go lighter, go one shade lighter from your starting colour every four to six weeks; if you want to go darker, choose one shade darker each week.
- Red hair is all the rage in Canada and globally. Scarlett Johansen was the most drastic red hair transformations we have seen this season.
If going red consider the following:
- Cooler tones are best suited to fair skin. Try a “Medium Reddish Blonde”.
- Medium skin tones should stick to medium red shades. Try a “Medium Auburn”.
- Olive-skinned redheads should avoid bright reds and oranges. Try a “Dark Auburn”.
Skin: Celeb esthetician, Anastasia Achilleos, whose client roster includes Kate Moss (do you really need to know anything else?) uses Bio-Oil to keep skin hydrated and remove and minimize stretch marks and scars. Perfect for getting bikini-ready!
Face: CoverGirl beauty honchos recommend mixing a darker foundation into a lightweight moisturizer (for lighter coverage) or adding a lighter shade to your winter foundation as an easy way to keep up with the changing seasons. Summer Colours for Eyes: Aqua, Indigo, and Blazing Blues. Leading makeup artist and CoverGirl Global Creative Design Director Pat McGrath loves bold lips with vibrant shades of rich pink and red for this season.
Fashion: Of course, no new look would be complete without a little something new to wear. Why not support local boutiques while saving cash with the new Shop the Block shopping discount card. An annual fee gives you access to discounts of up to 20% at over 50 stores.
Bio-Oil $21.99 125 mL; bio-oil.com
Perfect 10 $15.99 Nice n' Easy; clairol.ca
Shop the Block Discount Card $65 annual membership Shop The Block. shoptheblock.ca
Outlast Lip Stain $8.69 CoverGirl. covergirl.ca